E L A Y N E G. J A M E S
RANDOM FUN FACTS ABOUT ELAYNE G. JAMES:
• Born in Monterey, California, to musician parents whose unusual mix of wisdom and playfulness proved infectious to their somewhat innocent children
• Spent her formative years on her family's small ranch learning the secret language of the animals and the enchantments of the land
• Had a black and white sheepdog named Sand that could speak pig Latin
• Became a musician and songwriter at an early age
• Traveled extensively throughout childhood and adolescence
• Became a writer by chronicling her family's adventures on the road
• Wanted to be a Disney animation artist when she grew up
• Wrote her first book at age 11 (a hundred handwritten pages & a hand-drawn cover)
• Began penning sci-fi and fantasy stories in her teens but never admitted to it in polite company
• Became a playwright in college
• Became a professional theatrical lighting designer in her late 20s & worked in theatre for 24 years
• Co-wrote 2 full-length theatrical musicals in her 20s & 30s
• Harbors a secret longing to explore the multiverse by a means yet to be invented or discovered
When I was 11 years old, I left the confines of my limited little world and journeyed to a far away land called Middle Earth. With the expert assistance of Mr. Tolkien as guide and wise counsel, I went on a great and dangerous adventure. When I returned nine months later, for that was how long it took me to read the book, I made an important discovery. I knew ten, that I wanted to be just such a guide for others, a guide through magnificent inner landscapes, and vowed to spend the rest of my life pursuing the fine art of world building. A few years later, at the age of thirteen, I went on another grand adventure, this time one of my own, crossing the expanse of another wondrous land (America), leaving a beautiful place called California, and journeying to a shining city called New York, which planted the seed for Ani's move to NYC in Book One of The LightBridge Legacy.
At the prompting of my parents, I chronicled our family’s trip across America in my thirteenth year, which took four and a half months. Upon our return, I began writing and assembling my stories into books I could share with others. From that moment on I, like Ani, felt called to the destiny that awaited me. When finally I returned to New York City three decades later, I had just finished 900 pages of my first fantasy series (which had taken the better part of seven years to write), and would soon be celebrating the fruition of a lifelong dream of becoming a published author.
The road from there to here has had many scenic detours, all of which were experiences I count myself lucky to have had. In the three decades between NYC visits, I have been a recording artist, a Hollywood sound effects editor, a successful playwright, a West Coast theatrical lighting designer, a graphic artist, and a professional photographer. Through it all though, I have been a writer, periodically battling dark forces, but never stepping too far off the path. I now live by the Pacific blue in Southern California with my hubby and continue my love affair with Story and the written word.
Feel free to contact me. I would love to hear from you!
Join my EGJ Book News email list to get a heads-up when new EGJ books come out! FREE GIFT: Part One of The Secret Half
☟ CLICK BELOW ☟